Celebrate with 11 Rum-Centric Cocktails!
With National Rum Day August 16 we wanted to share 11 rum-centric cocktails to toast the country’s best tiki bars and punch bowls, ranging from the tropical feel of Coco Tiki Tai in Key Largo to the Latin American Rum Punch in Belize.
Rum enthusiast or not, it’s hard to resist sipping this sugarcane-based spirit, and what better way to celebrate the national holiday than with some of the best rum-based cocktails from bars across the country and the world — it’s practically a vacation in a glass! If you’re feeling parched, we suggest mixing up a few, all in the name of rum.
Belize Tourism Board – Belize City, Belize
While there’s lots of ways to celebrate, the country of Belize is testing the creativity of palates (and bartending skills) with homemade rum-centric cocktail options that go way beyond your average Pina Colada. Made from sugarcane, rum originated in the Caribbean, and it’s still the most popular liquor in the region — which makes “traveling with your tastebuds” all the more enjoyable, especially at a time when people aren’t able to visit directly. Across Belize, these rum-filled concoctions can be found at every bar, and are practically embedded in Belizean culture. Choosing your variation is a personal decision, but you really can’t go wrong with either local favorite! For more information on Belize, please visit travelbelize.org.
Rum Punch — The national cocktail of Belize, this local delicacy appears on almost every drink menu in the country. Few cocktails have as many different recipes as the Rum Punch — and it’s one of the best drinks to take liberties with, mixing and matching fruits and dialing up (or down) the amount of rum included. Rum Punch is a quick and easy cocktail to make and only requires:
- 2 cups of white rum
- 1 cup of coconut rum
- 2 ½ cups of fresh orange juice and pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice and 3 tablespoons of grenadine (or enough to make the punch into a pretty pink color 🙂
- Simply stir all the ingredients together in a pitcher or punch bowl, and chill before serving. Use short rocks glasses full of ice, and garnish your Rum Punch with slices of orange and pineapple. This recipe yields 8-10 servings.
- Panty Rippa — Besides Rum Punch, Panty Rippas are another popular cocktail in the country, especially in the cayes (or islands). Instead of light or dark rum though, Panty Rippas are a much simpler cocktail to make using mainly coconut rum. Top off a shot or two with pineapple juice and you’ve got yourself a Belizean specialty.
- 1 ½ oz of coconut rum
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 1 splash of grenadine
- Simply swirl the ingredients in a glass with ice, garnish with a lime wedge or cherry and enjoy! This recipe yields 1 serving.
Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando – Orlando, Florida
Celebrated as an experience in art and music, the AAA Four Diamond Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, a signature Kessler Collection property, takes center stage as downtown Orlando’s landmark luxury icon. From the moment guests arrive, a dazzling blend of art, music and memorable hospitality immerse the senses. From the Italian mosaic tiled barrel-vaulted ceilings to the jester-like statues upon entry, an oasis of sheer beauty welcomes visitors to enjoy the unprecedented collection of more than 150 rare works of art. Located moments away from downtown’s cultural gems, as well as Orlando’s magical theme parks, Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando fosters a setting that celebrates creativity and inspires the soul.
- Rum Old Fashioned:
- 1 1/2 oz Ron Zacapa 23
- Brown sugar syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitter
- 1 dash Black Walnut
- Build all ingredients into tin. Stir until chilled. Strain into glass over large cube. Garnish with an orange wedge in a sugar cane skewer. Floater of Malibu to finish.
Casa Monica Resort & Spa – St. Augustine, Florida
As a historic landmark centered in the nation’s oldest city, Casa Monica Resort & Spa is St. Augustine’s only AAA Four-Diamond accommodation and is a consistent favorite among locals, visitors and celebrities. Fully restored in 1999, the rich history of the iconic landmark shines through with impressive fortress-like architecture as it majestically overlooks the downtown district and Matanzas Bay.
- The Augustine:
- 1 1/2 oz St Augustine Rum
- 1/2 oz Triple Sec
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz raspberry puree
- Splash of water
Bohemian Hotel Celebration – Celebration, Florida
Tucked away from the hustle and bustle of Orlando, the 115-room luxury boutique Bohemian Hotel lives within the charming, quiet town of Celebration, Florida. Situated lakeside, guests are greeted by the hotel’s chic lobby inspired by Florida’s natural beauty and elegance, featuring warm golden, cream and wood décor, Italian chandeliers, natural linen furnishings and handmade poplar bark tables. Offering a respite from the big city’s traffic and noise, the Bohemian Hotel Celebration provides an intimate escape, inviting guests to enjoy a sparkling pool overlooking the lake, an awe-inspiring Grand Bohemian Art Gallery, access to the scenic 18-hole Celebration Golf Club, nearby walking and biking trails, exceptional dining at Lakeside Bar + Grill, and plentiful shopping and dining options across Celebration’s quaint, walkable town.
- “Caribbean Breeze”
- 1.25oz Flor de Cana Rum
- 2oz Pineapple Juice
- .5oz Jalapeño Simple Syrup
- Garnish: Two Jalapeño Wheels
- Floater: .25oz Malibu Coconut
- Mix all ingredients together, strain into fresh ice in Rocks glass. Garnish with two Jalapeño wheels in drink. Floater of Malibu to finish
Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook – Mountain Brook, Alabama
Located in the affluent Mountain Brook suburb of Birmingham, Ala., Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook provides an unmatched lodging experience. Nestled within Mountain Brook’s walkable village, the 100-room boutique hotel boasts an on-site Grand Bohemian Gallery, signature Poseidon Spa, interactive cooking school, vibrant rooftop terrace, imaginative dining at Habitat Feed & Social, and one of the country’s only Wine Blending Experiences, led by expert sommeliers.
- Bohemian Punch:
- 2 oz Flor de Cana 12 year Rum
- 1 oz Orange juice
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
- .25 oz of grenadine
- 3 dashes of orange bitters
- Garnish with an orange slice/luxardo cherry flag
Hemingway Daiquiri at Ocean Key Resort & Spa – Key West, Florida
Capturing the breezy, subtropical climate, laid-back lifestyle and celebrated history and charm of Key West, the Hemingway Daiquiri takes readers to Ocean Key Resort & Spa, a luxurious oceanfront property located in the heart of America’s Southernmost island. Nestled between Key West Harbor and Mallory Square, where historic Duval Street begins the old town experience, the resort’s signature cocktail delivers the perfect mix of warm breezes, sunset celebrations, relaxation and revelry with an easy-to-make recipe from home.
- Hemingway Daiquiri:
- 2 oz Bacardi Superior Rum
- 1 oz Grapefruit Juice
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Cane Syrup
- 1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur
- Strain over crushed ice in a double old fashioned glass, and garnish with a grapefruit slice.
Gumby Slumber at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa — Little Torch Key, Florida
Perfectly capturing the essence of the resort’s “Get Lost” motto the tropical “Gumby Slumber” is the signature cocktail at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, the 4-acre, private island resort located discreetly off the fabled coastline of the Florida Keys. A best-kept secret among U.S. presidents and celebrities alike, the resort recently reopened (March 1), unveiling a complete design makeover. The ultra-luxe resort now boasts: 30 British West Indies-inspired thatched-roof bungalow suites, a world-class spa with two-story atrium and carved architectural details, and the property’s signature ‘Dining Room’ restaurant, enhanced to encompass sweeping views of the ocean.
- Gumby Slumber:
- 1 part pineapple juice
- 1 part cranberry juice
- 1 part orange juice
- 1 part Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- 1 part Parrot Bay Rum
- Fresh coconut
- Mix ingredients and serve chilled. Garnish with fresh coconut. For an extra kick, marinate the coconut garnish in 151 Rum.
Coco Tiki Tai by Bungalows Key Largo – Key Largo, Florida
The luxury, adults-only Bungalows Key Largo, celebrated its grand opening this past December, as the first and only all-
- Coco Tiki Tai:
- 1 ½ oz Coconut Rum
- 1 oz Amaretto
- 4 oz Orange Juice
- 2 oz Pineapple Juice
- Combine all ingredients into a shaker and mix vigorously. Pour ingredients into a Collins glass filled with ice, and garnish with a pineapple and/or orange.
Montage Palmetto Bluff – Bluffton, South Carolina
Luxury resort Montage Palmetto Bluff, ideally situated on 20,000-acres of spacious coastal nature preserve in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, welcomes guests with genuine hospitality and longstanding Southern traditions. Dedicated to fostering lifelong memories and connections through shared experiences, Montage Palmetto Bluff encourages “porching” — sitting with family and friends on a sun-splashed veranda, cocktail in hand, while reflecting on the day together. To enhance “porching” the resort’s River House Lounge mixologist, Guy Jackson, created The Blood Moon that is not only aesthetically pleasing, but tastes like a delicious boozy creamsicle.
- The Blood Moon:
- 1 oz Bacardi Silver Rum
- 1 oz Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- 2 oz Fresh Blood Orange Juice
- 3/4 oz Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Vanilla Syrup
- 1 Egg White
- Combine all ingredients in mixing tin.Dry shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds (Allow time for egg white to further emulsify).Add ice and shake until cold. Strain into chilled Coupe glass and garnish with paper-thin slice of blood orange on top of foam.
Hotel Crescent Court – Dallas, Texas
Sipping into summer, Hotel Crescent Court, a Lone Star landmark mirroring its stylish surroundings, is mixing up a fresh concoction celebrating warmer temps and ultimate relaxation with its Strawberry Mojito. A spin off of a classic mojito, this lively libation incorporates rum, mint, simple syrup and fresh strawberries – delivering a refreshing escape with a light, yet sugary finish. For more information on Hotel Crescent Court, please visit www.crescentcourt.com.
- Strawberry Mojito:
- 2 oz Bacardi Superior Rum
- 1/2 oz simple syrup (1:1 sugar & water)
- 8 mint leaves
- 3 strawberries, hulled & sliced
- 3/4 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 1 oz Topo Chico
- Place the strawberries, mint and simple syrup into the bottom of the glass – muddle until fully smashed. Fill the glass with ice and add in the rum and lime juice. Stir gently, top with Topo Chico and garnish with strawberry and mint.